President Barack Obama said today President-Elect Donald Trump protesters shouldn't be silent. Obama himself was protested regularly, he pointed out, as were previous presidents. He encouraged support for free speech both domestically and abroad.
- Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has submitted his resignation. He is probably most famous for lying to a Senate committee about the existence of the mass surveillance exposed by Edward Snowden. The announcent was not a surprise. He had been telling people openly about his plans to retire.
- Tim Kaine says he will not run for president in 2020. But would he accept a vice president offer from Kanye West?
- A teacher in a Baltimore middle school was captured on video telling her students they were "punk ass n—–s" who were going to get shot. The school district has fired her.
- At the request of Turkey's president, Pakistan is ejecting more than 100 Turkish school teachers from their country.
- Could shifting Sen. Dianne Feinstein from the Intelligence Committee to the Judiciary Committee be good for those who want to preserve strong data encryption?