Gary Johnson reached a high of 13 percent in the most recent presidential polls as the Republican convention begins in Cleveland, where Scott Baio is set to speak and where a hundred naked women welcomed Donald Trump. Police in Philadelphia, site of the Democratic convention next week, warned business owners to secure outside belongings "to avoid misappropriation by demonstrators."
- Six police officers were shot in Baton Rouge, three fatally, by a gunman law enforcement officials described as a "black separatist."
- A rape suspect took four hostages at a Burger King in Baltimore; the stand-off ended after five hours with police taking the suspect into custody.
- Police in France arrested an Albanian couple in connection with last week's terror attack in Nice.
- More than 100,000 Venezuelans crossed the border into Colombia over the weekend in search for food.
- Authorities in Turkey have detained at least 6,000 people after a failed coup attempt.