- Eight of the people who had occupied a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon are in police custody, including brothers Ammon and Ryan Bundy, after a confrontation with police Tuesday. The group's spokesman, LaVoy Finicum, was killed.
- Donald Trump says he won't appear in the next Republican presidential debate, which is scheduled for Fox News Thursday night.
- Ride-sharing service Lyft has agreed to pay $12.25 million in a worker classification lawsuit in California, yet will continue to classify its drivers as independent contractors, not employees.
- House Democrats are trying to disband a special investigative committee on Planned Parenthood's fetal-tissue donation program after the anti-abortion activists who fueled the investigation were indicted in Texas.
- The man behind America's "hot yoga" craze, Bikram Choudhury, was ordered to pay over $7 million in a sexual harassment lawsuit.
- Santa Claus was arrested for driving under the influence in Iowa Idaho.
- Everything you've been told about calories is wrong.
New at Reason:
Brickbat: The Rule of Law
By Charles Oliver
Corny Crony Capitalism in Iowa: Cruz and Paul stand on principle against the federal ethanol mandate while all the other candidates pander. By Jacob Sullum
Presidential Candidates Rushing to Support Ethanol Subsidies Ahead of Iowa Caucus: Running on empty. By John Stossel