The White House chief of staff said President Obama is still planning to close Guantanamo Bay.
- At a rally in Nevada, Donald Trump criticized NFL penalties for head-on-head collisions, calling the football league, like America, weak.
- In an interview on This Week, Bernie Sanders said Bernie Sanders was Democrats' most electable presidential candidate.
- Sean Penn's Rolling Stone interview with Joaquín Guzmán Loera helped Mexico track the drug cartel leader down.
- Police in Cologne clashed with anti-Islam protesters who are demonstrating following a series of sexual assaults in the city on New Year's Eve attributed to Muslim men.
- A Doctors Without Borders hospital in Yemen was bombed, killing four and injuring at least 10.
- David Bowie is dead.
New at Reason.com:
Brickbat: Union, Justice, and Confidence By Charles Oliver
Two Ranchers, Two Fires, Too Long Behind Bars The resentencing of Dwight and Steven Hammond illustrates the injustices wrought by mandatory minimums. By Jacob Sullum
Federal Dietary Policies Are an Unsteady Diet of Nothing Follow the new guidelines at your own peril. By Baylen Linnekin