Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says he wants a constitutional convention, for an amendment on Congressional term limits.
- A group of armed protesters in Oregon occupied a federal outpost in a wildlife refuge after a demonstration against an arson sentence for two ranchers and federal mismanagement of land in the area was held in a town about 50 miles away.
- The Free State Project in New Hampshire has reached 90 percent of its goal of 20,000 pledges, which will trigger a mass move to the state.
- ISIS threatened the United Kingdom in a new execution video the terrorist group released.
- Saudi Arabia officially severed ties with Iran, prompted by an attack on the Saudi embassy in Tehran that followed the execution of an Iranian cleric by the Saudi government.
- A magnitude-6.7 earthquake in India killed at least four people.
New at Reason.com
- Brickbat: Quick on the Trigger By Charles Oliver
- Chicago Needs More Tasing Perhaps Tasers will result in fewer fatal shootings. By Steve Chapman
- The Federal Ban on Medical Marijuana Was Not Lifted Some observers got carried away when Congress renewed the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment. By Jacob Sullum
- Price Controls Will Slow Drug Innovation Ballot box is the wrong place to debate drug-price intricacies, in California or anywhere else. By Steven Greenhut
- Germany's 500-Year-Old Beer Purity Law Needs to Go A new study shows Germany's Reinheitsgebot is turning off younger drinkers and driving them to non-German beers. By Baylen Linnekin
- Three New Television Comedies Greet the New Year A look at Superstore, Telenovela, and Angel from Hell. By Glenn Garvin