Turkey has shot down a Russian fighter jet near its Syrian border.
- Vladimir Putin has responded to the downing of the Russian jet by calling Turkey the "accomplices of terrorists" and warning of "significant consequences."
- Five people were shot in Minneapolis near a Black Lives Matters protest. Police are currently searching for three white male suspects.
- The U.S. State Department has issued a worldwide travel alert for Americans.
- "A federal appeals court ruled in a decision unsealed on Monday that the Justice Department could continue to conceal internal documents related to targeted killings in the fight against Al Qaeda."
- Canada plans to take in and resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year.
New at Reason
- Brickbat: Slow Down By Charles Oliver
- Ban Encryption? It's an Impossible Idea Whose Time Will Never Come Of course government officials want to ban privacy-oriented technologies. They were created to thwart the grasping creatures. By J.D. Tuccille
- Living Standards Up Since the Fall of Communism Young people don't remember just how bad it was under socialism. By Marian Tupy