The House has defied a veto threat from President Barack Obama and passed legislation to toughen screenings for Syrian refugees seeking to come to the U.S. Several Democrats crossed party lines to vote yes.
- Hillary Clinton called for a worldwide fight against ISIS with America leading the charge, but not with ground troops.
- Meanwhile, Donald Trump is floating expanded surveillance for Muslim Americans and declined to rule out such possibilities as special religious identification on ID cards.
- In completely non-ISIS-related news, former Subway spokesman Jared Fogle was sentenced to more than 15 years in prison for child porn and sex charges.
- A former police officer in Detroit was found guilty of assault and misconduct in the videotaped beating of a driver he stopped for running a stop sign.
- Five were killed in two separate attacks by Palestinians in Israel. One victim was an American.
New at Reason:
- Al-Hayat's Editor Calls for War on ISIS: "What is necessary is a world war against darkness…" By Charles Paul Freund
- The New York Times vs. Nail Salons: The gray lady's inaccurate reporting wreaks havoc on an immigrant-dominated industry. By Jim Epstein