Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) has instituted a $15 minimum wage for public workers in New York, to be phased in by 2021.
- Millions of prisoner phone calls recorded by Securus have been leaked to The Intercept, including those of attorney-client conversations that were not supposed to have been recorded.
- The European Union is offering new aid to African countries, as well as easier rules on visa access and sending money from Europe overseas in exchange for help curbing illegal immigration.
- The constitutional court in Spain has suspended the process of secession the regional government of Catalonia had begun, for now.
- The army and president of Myanmar said they would respect the results of the first democratic elections in 25 years, which saw a rout of the ruling party.
- The NFL is moving closer to deciding which team(s), if any, it will allow to move to Los Angeles.
- Construction began today on the Giant Magellan Telescope, which scientists hope will be able to observe the first moments of the universe.
New at Reason.com:
- My Trump Problem: The good, the bad, and the ugly. By John Stossel
- The Dangers of Trump's Militaristic Isolationism: Trump is a threat to the United States and the world. By Shikha Dalmia
- The 3 Best and Worst Moments of Last Night's GOP Debate: After the circus in Colorado, did Fox Business deliver a debate of ideas?