President Barack Obama is ordering federal agencies to wait until further in the hiring process to make potential federal employees reveal any criminal background to give those who have records a potentially better chance of getting hired.
- You don't have Larry Lessig around to completely ignore anymore. Well, I suppose technically you still do. But you won't be ignoring his run for the Democratic presidential nomination anymore because he has ended it.
- The Environmental Protection Agency claims Volkswagen cheated deisel emissions regulations not just on its cars but with some SUVs as well.
- You don't need to be one of those people who thinks everything is "problematic" to think that dressing up as KKK members for Halloween is perhaps not a good idea. But in addition, Anonymous is unveiling names of people it says are actual members of the KKK.
- Obama has signed the two-year budget and debt deal.
- OMG! THERE'S A NEW STAR TREK SERIES COMING! OMG! OMG! In a sign of what television programming has become, it will be available through CBS' digital subscription streaming service.
- The producer of The Godfather has landed the rights for Atlas Shrugged and is planning a miniseries version of the novel.
New at Reason.com:
- The Parties Turn It Up to 11
Republicans are moving rightward while Democrats are moving leftward.
By A. Barton Hinkle
- You'll Never Guess Which Presidential Candidate Is Running on Tax Simplification and Deregulation?
This candidate promises to "take a hard look at licensing requirements from state to state" and simplify small-business taxes.
By Ira Stoll
- A New Sexual Revolt Is Underway at British Universities
Could this be the start of an uprising?
By Brendan O'Neill
- Gay Activist Jimmy LaSalvia: "Why I Left the GOP (And You Should Too)"
Conservative GOProud co-founder tells all about Andrew Breitbart, Ann Coulter, and break with Republican Party in new book.
By Anthony L. Fisher