Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) has been elected speaker of the House. He promised to fix a "broken" system.
- Ryan's election means that John Boehner (R-Ohio) can exit, stage right. He bid the House farewell today.
- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has blocked an attempt by Democrats to get the Export-Import Bank reauthorized via a stand-alone bill.
- A federal court refused to halt the National Security Agency's bulk surveillance program before its transition period to the Freedom Act's new more-restrictive regulations is complete.
- The United States sent out a pack of fighter jets to intercept two Russian aircraft who got within a nautical mile of an aircraft carrier in the Pacific.
- Albuquerque Police Officer Daniel Webster died today after being shot during a traffic stop a week ago.
A Medical Student Questioned Microaggressions. UVA Branded Him a Threat and Banished Him from Campus.
Kieran Bhattacharya's First Amendment lawsuit can proceed, a court said.
The White House is proposing an 8.4 percent boost in discretionary spending, which comes on top of Biden's $1.9 trillion pandemic relief bill, and his proposed $2.3 trillion American Jobs Plan.
The data do not support the conventional wisdom that pain pill prescriptions are driving drug-related fatalities.
Plus: GOP gender policing in North Carolina, marijuana legalization mistakes, and more...
A shocking 12 percent enrollment drop in New York City points to possible long-term structural impacts of the pandemic.