The top GOP candidates debated each other—and clashed repeatedly with CNBC moderators—at last night's Republican presidential debate in Colorado.
- China is abandoning its "one-child policy" and replacing it with a "two-child policy."
- The Kansas City Royals beat the New York Mets by a score of 7-1 last night in game two of the World Series. The Royals now lead the Series 2-0.
- Paul Ryan takes over today as speaker of the House of Representatives.
- "A record number of Americans have renounced their citizenship so far this year, according to data from the Internal Revenue Service."
- According to the World Health Organization, tuberculosis now rivals HIV/AIDS as a leading cause of death.
New at Reason
- Brickbat: How Many Poles Does It Take? By Charles Oliver
- Stop Perpetuating War by Exalting Its Sacrifices A reminder upon the death of U.S. Army Master Sgt. Joshua Wheeler, the first American to die in combat in Iraq since 2011. By Sheldon Richman
- Republicans Say the REAL Enemy Is the Damn Liberal Media A recap of the latest Republican presidential debate. By Matt Welch and Jim Epstein