Donald Trump still leads among GOP presidential candidates, but Ben Carson is now a close second in the polls.
- Expect a showdown between Donald Trump and Carly Fiorina at tomorrow night's Republican presidential debate.
- Is Joe Biden going to run for president in 2016? Last week Biden had a secret meeting "with one of the most prominent and powerful fundraising stars in the Democratic firmament."
- The suspect in yesterday's fatal shooting of a Mississippi college professor has killed himself after being cornered by police.
- Hungary has closed its border to refugees.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to continue providing military support to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
New at Reason
- Brickbat: Chew on This By Charles Oliver
- How A Legal Squabble Could Change the Way the Government Collects Personal Data The U.S. "would go crazy if China did this to us," says Microsoft about DOJ attempt to compel email data stored overseas. By Andrea Castillo
- Millions of Americans Who Avoid Banks Offer a Peek at the Underground Economy Much of the country buys, sells, and makes a living outside official scrutiny. By J.D. Tuccille
- Why Boston's Sports Fans Rejected the Olympics Boondoggle—and L.A. Said Bring It On The long, sad history of overspending on the international games. By Garrett Quinn