Ferguson, Missouri, saw more tension Monday evening after protesters are said to have thrown water bottles at St. Louis County police, who responded by ordering the crowd to disperse or face arrest. At least 20 people were ultimately arrested.
- Meanwhile, heavily-armed members of the "patriot" group Oath Keepers traipsed about Ferguson in camouflage gear while carrying assault rifles. "If there were black and brown people in this country who showed up in the streets open carrying assault rifles in paramilitary garb would they still be received the same way?" asked Patricia Bynes, Democratic Committeewoman of Ferguson Township.
- Harvard professor and early digital-culture guru Larry Lessig is considering a Democratic presidential bid.
- Bernie Sanders has released a "racial justice" policy platform.
- Former First Lady Nancy Reagan has invited every 2016 Republican presidential candidate except Jim Gilmore to participate in the CNN/Reagan Library debate on September 16.
- Rick Perry has stopped paying his campaign staff.
- Turn off your ad-block, people! We need to eat.
- Miley Cyrus speaks out for breasts, not guns.
New at Reason:
- Brickbat: The Old Ball and Chain—Charles Oliver
- The Economics of Software-Vulnerability Sales: Can the Feds Encourage 'Pro-Social' Hacking?—Andrea Castillo
- The Schumers Need to Rework Their Tired Gun Control Routine—J.D. Tuccille