A new executive order will give the U.S. government greater power to negotiate with terrorists for American hostages and will stop criminalizing families that communicate or offer ransoms to groups holding their loved ones. It will also create a "Hostage Recovery Fusion Cell," to be headed by senior FBI officials.
- Police have released the 911 call that led to suspected Charleston shooter Dylann Roof's arrest.
- Obama's trade bill advanced in the Senate yesterday, with no votes to spare.
- The U.S. government has been spying on French leaders, who aren't too happy about it.
- The first "abortion drone" will begin delivering abortion medication from Germany to Poland, where the procedure is illegal.
- California schoolteachers and conservative activists are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to take a case regarding public-sector union fees.
- A newly released British intelligence document discloses how terrorism suspects are targeted in C.I.A. drone strikes and how closely the National Security Agency works with its British counterpart in Pakistan and Yemen.
- Eek! Donald Trump is polling really well.
- Libertarian Party members were allegedly banned from a gay pride parade in Washington (an open-carry state) for simply asking if they were allowed to bring their guns.
- "Email becomes an end in itself. Email never goes away. Email is an asshole."
Reason's Annual Webathon is underway! Donate today to see your name here.
Reason is supported by:
Michael S. Baggott