Senate Democrats are blocking a GOP-backed bill to fund the Department of Homeland Security because it contains a measure that would revoke President Obama's recent executive actions on immigration. Republican leaders have expressed outrage that Democrats would resort to the same kinds of tactics they've been using for the past few years.
- A spokesman for Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz told The Daily Mail that Cruz had "foolishly experimented with marijuana" as a teenager.
- "We cannot live in a perpetually punitive society," said Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy, pushing legislative proposals to lower penalties for certain drug crimes, remove mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent crimes, and reform the state's parole system.
- The girlfriend of cyclist Lance Armstrong admitted they lied to police about her hitting two parked cars in Aspen, Colorado, when it was Armstrong who had been driving.
- The University of Vermont will allow students to select their own first name and pronoun of choice within its campus information system.
- Montana is considering creating a new crime of "sexual servitude." People found guilty of forcing someone into sexual servitude or patronizing such an individual would face prison time, forfeiture of their property, and sex-offender registration.
- A Minnesota law would force an outside investigation in all "officer-involved shooting" deaths.
- Maureen Dowd can rest easy: Colorado rules requiring marijuana edibles to contain no more than 10 milligrams of THC per serving have gone into effect.