Members of his own Democratic Party helped torpedo the president's scheme to tax 529 college savings, and now Republicans are pushing to expand the plans' benefits.
- Senator and likely GOP White House contender Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) thinks the NSA's domestic spying is swell and should be made permanent.
- Heading into the Superbowl, 41 percent of Americans believe the Patriots cheated in the AFC championship game, while only 27 percent disagree. (The rest probably believe the Pats suck for a multitude of reasons and that Deflategate is just a cherry on top.)
- Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney are slamming each other over their wealth, guaranteeing entertainment for all.
- An attack by Hezbollah militants killed two Israeli soldiers and a Spanish UN peacekeeper.
- Everybody crosses their fingers that the Saudi Arabian succession doesn't get messy.
- Veteran (and pioneering) blogger Andrew Sullivan hangs it up.