President Obama's approval ratings are on their way up, along with optimism about the economy, ahead of tonight's State of the Union.
- U.S. authorities reportedly knew North Korea was responsible for the hacking of Sony because the National Security Agency had hacked North Korea.
- Six members of Hezbollah active in Syria were killed in actions attributed to Israeli forces.
- Super Bowl XLIX will feature the returning champions Seattle Seahawks against the New England Patriots, which the National Football League is investigating for allegedly using deflated balls in this weekend's win.
- Clint Eastwood's American Sniper hit $90.2 million in box office receipts this weekend, a record for the Martin Luther King holiday.
- A UFO hunter says NASA shut down a live feed from the International Space Station after an unidentified object appeared on screen. The entrepreneur Elon Musk, meanwhile, wants to spend $10 billion to build an Internet in outer space.