Thousands of protesters occupied the streets of New York City again last night in response to a grand jury's failure on Wednesday to indict the police officer who killed Eric Garner. At times protesters clashed with police and temporarily succeeded in shutting down traffic on both the West Side Highway and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- "The federal civil rights investigation into the chokehold death of Eric Garner could present a new complication for Loretta E. Lynch's nomination as attorney general, because she will be heading the inquiry as the United States attorney for the Eastern District of New York even as she undergoes scrutiny in the new Republican-controlled Senate."
- President Barack Obama will nominate Ash Carter to be his new secretary of defense this morning.
- House Republicans have voted to repudiate President Obama's unilateral executive actions on immigration.
- Is Mitt Romney planning to run for president again in 2016? Members of his inner circle seem to think he will.
- Florida will grant equal representation to the Satanic Temple in this year's religious-themed holiday displays at the state capitol. The Satanic Temple's display will reportedly feature "an angel falling into a pit of fire."
Reason is your voice in debates about politics, culture, and ideas. Our annual Webathon is underway and your tax-deductible gift will help us fight against big government, crony capitalism, the drug war, and so much more. For details on giving levels and swag, go here now.