President Obama took to the airwaves to concede that "Republicans had a good night" and to call on the expanded GOP majority to work with him. Hmmm…Define "work with…"
- With election results trickling in, the Republican Party is on track to score its largest majority in the House of Representatives since 1947, and possibly since the late 1920s. State legislative wins are equally historic.
- One of those additions to the House is Mia Love, a black, Republican woman elected from Utah.
- If Democrats were blindsided by the election results, they can blame polls that consistently overestimated their support by about four points.
- Voters in four states embraced minimum wage increases, while those in two states plus D.C. went for legalizing marijuana. The grass will be a comfort when those entry-level jobs become scarce.
- American gun laws continue in divergent directions as a Washington measure to tighten background checks passes and Alabamans amend their constitution to subject any and all restrictions on the right to bear arms to strict scrutiny.
- Iraq enlisted an Iranian general to help in the war against ISIS. Yes, really.
- María Teresa Romero Ramos, the Spanish nurse who contracted Ebola from a patient, has been cured and released from the hospital.