To quarantine or not to quarantine? New Jersey decided to quarantine a nurse who was treating Ebola patients in Africa but then changed its mind and let her go. The Obama administration is discouraging such responses. U.S. soldiers leaving their mission in Liberia to help with the anti-Ebola fight are being separated and monitored in Italy.
- The last of U.S. Marines (and NATO troops) in the Helmland province of Afghanistan have left, though there are still U.S. forces in the country that will be there for some time.
- Our "allies" in Saudi Arabia have sentenced three lawyers for up to eight years in jail for tweets that were critical of the judiciary.
- Several former judges are trying to halt an execution of Mark Christeson scheduled to take place in Missouri this week. The man's court-appointed attorneys missed a filing deadline, resulting in him being denied a federal review.
- A second teenage girl has died from her injuries from the deadly Friday school shooting in Marysville, Washington.
- As we restlessly anticipate the midterm elections in a week (or, you know, simply shrug and click on funny videos elsewhere), Republicans still seem poised to take over the Senate, with many more options to win than the Democrats.