- The gunman who killed a soldier in Ottawa, a recent convert to Islam, had attempted to go to Syria to join rebels there, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who say he had no ties to another man who killed a soldier in Quebec last week.
- A man in New York City attacked two cops with a hatchet before police fatally shot him. The cops also unintentionally shot a 29-year-old woman. Police are investigating possible terror links.
- Boko Haram kidnapped 25 more girls in an attack on a remote town in Nigeria after the government claimed to have negotiated a temporary ceasefire that would include the release of more than 200 girls kidnapped earlier this year.
- The European Union has calculated that the United Kingdom owes it 2.1 billion more euros on top of the 10.9 billion it contributes annually because of its relative economic health.
- The governor of the Mexican state of Guerrero, Angel Aguirre, resigned amid revelations that 42 students in Iguala were disappeared by local cops working with drug gangs.