President Obama is looking to use the never repealed authorization of the use of military force in Iraq to justify airstrikes on the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), which has meanwhile released video purporting to show the beheading of another British hostage. Prime Minister David Cameron vowed to hunt the killers down, but has not yet committed the United Kingdom to joining in on airstrikes against ISIS.
- The White House is expected to announce a plan to deploy military personnel in Liberia to combat the outbreak of Ebola.
- Hillary Clinton and her husband were in Iowa this weekend. So was Bernie Sanders.
- Queen Elizabeth II warned voters in Scotland to "think carefully" about this week's referendum on independence.
- Hurricane Odile is threatening Baja California with winds upward of 100 miles an hour.
- There are a record high 60,000 centenarians in Japan, 90 percent of whom are women, according to the country's health ministry.