Hawks on both sides of the aisle in Congress want the president to act after the Islamic State (ISIL) posted a video showing the beheading of a second American journalist. The terror group-cum-proto-government says the beheading was in response to U.S. air strikes in northern Iraq. The prime minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, met with the Cobra committee discuss the U.K.'s response to a threat by ISIL to behead a British hostage. The U.S. is sending 350 more U.S. troops to its embassy in Baghdad.
- President Obama arrived in Tallinn, Estonia ahead of a NATO summit in Wales to reassure NATO members in the region that Russian aggression in Ukraine did not mean the same would be tolerated against them. Vladimir Putin, meanwhile, says Russian troops could get to Kiev in two weeks. The president of Ukraine announced a ceasefire shortly thereafter.
- Two men in North Carolina who have been in prison for 30 years after being found guilty of the murder and rape of an 11-year-old girl had their convictions overturned by a judge after the DNA of another man was uncovered as evidence.
- The tech company Apple denies its systems were breached in the theft of nude photo from multiple celebrities leaked this week.
- Researchers believe they've found abstract art created by Neanderthals in a cave in Gibraltar.
- Former Survivor lead singer Jami Jamison died of a heart attack, aged 63.
Jonathan Vanderhagen believes a judge doomed his son to an early death. The judge says Vanderhagen's Facebook posts were intimidating.
Conservatives deploy state power to go after speech they don't like.
Many arms of government are unpopular with large swathes of the American population.
Navy Confirms Authenticity of UFO Videos Published by Blink-182 Frontman's Extraterrestrial Research Organization
The videos show a U.S. military jet's encounter with what appears to be a fast-moving, unidentified object.
The U.S. incarcerates people for petty crimes at an alarming rate.