Raids and airstrikes continue in Gaza after a truce ended. Hamas infiltrated a Jewish village and killed Israeli troops. Civilians in a park were killed in an explosion. Residents blame Israel. Israel says it was a misfired Hamas rocket.
- A federal appeals court panel has struck down Virginia's ban on same-sex marriage recognition. The court also has jurisdiction over North and South Carolina, West Virginia, and Maryland.
- France is offering asylum to Christians from northern Iraq being driven out by the Islamic State, which has ordered them to convert or die.
- Liberia's president has closed most border crossings and instituted quarantines to try to contain its Ebola outbreak.
- Amazon.com has launched a service for customers to purchase 3d-printed items.
- Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union put out a joint report today showing that America's surveillance programs are making it more difficult for government officials to speak anonymously to journalists. So … working as intended, then?