Speaking at a town hall meeting in Minneapolis, President Barack Obama acknowledged that "some federal workers…do bone-headed things." As an example of that bone-headed behavior, he cited the unfolding Veterans Affairs scandal.
- "It didn't seem like they really wanted to recover the data." The IRS missing emails scandal continues to grow.
- SWAT teams in Massachusetts claim they are private corporations and therefore are entitled to immunity from the state's open records laws.
- Germany has declined to renew a lucrative contract with Verizon over concerns that the company is turning over sensitive information to the NSA.
- The Obama administration seeks to provide $500 million in aid to the Syrian opposition.
- "Over the past two weeks, the specter that has haunted Iraq since its founding 93 years ago appears to have become a reality: the de facto partition of the country into Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish cantons."