President Obama is reportedly considering an aerial bombing campaign in Iraq, something the country's prime minister expressed an interest in last week.
- An initiative to legalize marijuana won't be on the ballot in Arizona this year—the group backing the measure has stopped collecting signatures.
- The presidents of Russia and Ukraine discussed a ceasefire in southeastern Ukraine after a pipeline fire the Ukrainian government blamed on separatists broke out.
- Several people were killed in a northern Nigeria venue where the World Cup was being watched.
- Monday night's World Cup match between the U.S. and Ghana garnered 16 million viewers, a record for soccer in the U.S.
- The Metropolitan Opera in New York City canceled plans to simulcast The Death of Klinghoffer after concerns the opera, which depicts the 1985 hijacking of a cruise ship and the killing of an elderly Jewish man, could provoke an anti-Semitic reaction.