Edward Snowden is reportedly in talks with U.S. officials over a possible deal that would allow him to return to the United States.
- The fallout from the controversial Bergdahl prisoner swap continues to grow this week as lawmakers from both sides of the aisle sharply criticize the White House for failing to brief Congress on its plan to trade five Taliban fighters held at Guantanamo for captured Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
- Five U.S. troops were killed on Monday in a friendly fire incident in Afghanistan.
- Insurgents have taken control of key areas of the city of Mosul in northern Iraq.
- Hillary Clinton's new memoir Hard Choices hits the shelves today. Critics have described the book as a "low-salt, low-fat, low-calorie offering" and a "newsless snore."
- "During the Obama administration, according to the Pentagon, police departments have received tens of thousands of machine guns; nearly 200,000 ammunition magazines; thousands of pieces of camouflage and night-vision equipment; and hundreds of silencers, armored cars and aircraft."