Seattle's city council unanimously approved a minimum wage hike to $15—more than double the federal minimum wage of $7.25.
- Oliver Stone will direct a movie about Edward Snowden, because of course he will.
- President Obama is seeking up to $1 billion to support increased U.S. military presence in Eastern Europe, calling it the "European Reassurance Initiative" (don't worry, Europe, we're from the government and…)
- Signs you may be on the wrong gun rights track: the National Rifle Association calls your efforts "downright weird" and "scary." Looking at you, Open Carry Texas…
- Chemist Alexander "Sasha" Shulgin, known as the "Godfather of Ecstasy" for introducing MDMA to psychologists in the 1970s, has died.
- Bitcoin is no longer the very worst investment you could have made in 2014 (the honor now goes to iron ore and the Argentine peso).