- The World Health Organization says the international spread of polio is a global health emergency and that Pakistan, Syria, and Cameroon pose a high risk of exporting the virus.
- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has told Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) that he will put a hold on one of President Obama's appellate court nominees who drafted at least one secret memo justifying the killing of U.S. national Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen.
- Pro-Russian militants in the eastern Ukrainian city of Sloviansk have reportedly retreated from their positions following attacks by Ukrainian forces.
- A new Pew Research poll shows that Republicans are favored over Democrats in the upcoming midterm elections, a reversal from two months ago.
- The Nobel Prize-winning economist Gary Becker has died at the age of 83.
- The Islamist militant group Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of more than 200 girls from a village in northeast Nigeria last month.
Start your day with Reason. Get a daily brief of the most important stories and trends every weekday morning when you subscribe to Reason Roundup.