- The Senate voted to raise the debt ceiling this afternoon. Before the vote, Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) urged Republican senators to reject their "Tea Party overlords."
- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has filed a suit against President Obama and administration officials over NSA surveillance.
- Former New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin has been found guilty on corruption charges and is facing up to 20 years behind bars.
- President Obama signed an executive order raising the minimum wage for federal contractors to $10.10 an hour.
- Killing in Syria has accelerated amid faltering peace talks in Switzerland. Over 230 people a day have been killed in Syria since Jan. 22.
- The trial of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will begin on Nov. 3.