- The FBI has quietly replaced "law enforcement" with "national security" as its declared primary function.
- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D- Nev.) said Sunday that Democrats will focus on the middle class in 2014 and attempt to extend emergency unemployment benefits.
- The Senate is poised to confirm Janet Yellen as the next Federal Reserve chair, making her one of the most powerful figures in world economic circles.
- Citing health concerns in her family, Liz Cheney is ending her campaign for Senate in Wyoming.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel fractured her pelvis while skiing, forcing her to cancel meetings for the next three weeks.
- A senior Iranian military official offered limited military aid to Iraq in order to battle Al Qaeda fighters in the neighboring country.