- A bombing in a Hezbollah-controlled area of Beirut has killed at least four people.
- The chaplain for New York City's Department of Sanitation (yes, really) called the Big Apple a "plantation" during Mayor Bill de Blasio's inauguration ceremony.
- A Republican activist in California is working on a proposal to expand the California legislature to 12,000 members from its current 120.
- A Saudi man has been sentenced to 90 days in jail and 80 lashes for accusing a Kuwaiti singer of adultery on Twitter.
- According to the French interior minister, 1,067 cars were torched over New Year's.
- Ford has unveiled a hybrid car that uses solar energy to power its battery pack.
Follow Reason and Reason 24/7 on Twitter, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.