- China has confirmed that one of its warships almost collided with the USS Cowpens earlier this month.
- An official from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has acknowledged that the department should not have hired about 80 of the officers it did in 2010.
- Washington, D.C. gun owners will face up to a year behind bars and a $1,000 fine if they do not re-register their firearm from Jan. 1, 2014.
- Most economists in a survey conducted by the Associated Press believe that income inequality is hurting the American economy.
- Up to 500 people have been killed in South Sudan since Sunday as fighting between military factions spread from the capital.
- Indians have protested the treatment of a diplomat who was stripped and searched after being taken into custody by police in New York City.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.