A top Homeland Security Department official testifying before Congress stated that HealthCare.gov has been subject to approximately 16 cyberattacks and one unsuccessful "denial of service" attack. This was the first time an administration official publicly acknowledged that there have been any cyberattacks on the Obamacare website. So, it's not just the feds who want to steal your medical records.
- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) said approval for the U.S. Congress is so low even his 101-year-old mother no longer supports the legislative branch.
- A law banning undetectable firearms is set to expire, which has thrown federal law enforcement officials into hysterics about the potential security threats posed by 3D printed plastic guns.
- Mobile messaging startup Snapchat rejected an acquisition offer from Facebook that would have valued the company at $3 billion or more.
- A U.S. aircraft carrier and two cruisers have arrived in the Philippines to help communities devastated by Typhoon Haiyan, one of the deadliest typhoons on record.
- The number of people who applied for unemployment benefits fell by by 2,000 to 339,000 last week.
- Former German President Christian Wulff is going on trial accused of receiving and granting favors in office.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.