Five Myths About Conspiracy Theories
What THEY don't want you to know.
I wrote a piece for The Boston Globe that debunks five myths about conspiracy theories. Here are the myths; you'll have to read the article for the debunkings:
1. People today are uniquely prone to believing conspiracy theories.
2. Conspiracy theories always involve villains.
3. Conspiracy theories are just a feature of the fringe.
4. Conspiracy theories are never true.
5. Untrue conspiracy theories have no truths to teach us.
Postscript: I wrote a book about this stuff too, and I'll be discussing that tome at a Barnes & Noble in Baltimore tonight. Details here.