- Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has said that Obama is risking a default by not negotiating with Republicans.
- Security forces have been targeted by gunmen across Egypt. The attacks come a day after more than 50 people were killed in Cairo in clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
- The 2013 Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology has been awarded to two Americans and a German for their discovery of a transport system that allows cells to deliver life-saving proteins and molecules to the right place at the right time.
- Secretary of State John Kerry says that U.S. authorities are "very pleased" with Syrian officials who are cooperating with a United Nations mandate to destroy the Assad regime's chemical weapons.
- The Al Qaeda suspect Abu Anas al-Libi is being interrogated on a Navy ship in the Mediterranean Sea after being seized by U.S. commandos in Libya over the weekend.
- The Taliban have killed two people in an attack near a polio vaccination team in Pakistan.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: email@example.com.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.