- Security forces in Kenya are trying to end the ongoing hostage situation in a Nairobi mall following an attack that began on Saturday which has resulted in the deaths of at least 69 people. The Somali Al Qaeda-linked group Al Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- It doesn't look like the recent shooting at the Washington Navy Yard will prompt a new debate on gun control in Congress.
- Despite a historic third-term victory in yesterday's German elections Angela Merkel will need opposition support in order to put together a ruling coalition.
- The one-time Chinese political star Bo Xilai has been sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of bribery, embezzlement, and abuse of power.
- A woman was arrested and charged with criminal possession of a weapon at the 9/11 memorial in New York City yesterday after trying to pass through metal detectors with a .380-cal semiautomatic pistol.
- A double suicide bombing at a church in the Pakistani city of Peshawar killed at least 80 people yesterday.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.