The man who closed encrypted email firm Lavabit to escape a government order to snoop on customers says the Obama administration created a surveillance state that hearkens back to the McCarthy era. For its part, the White House finds itself constantly on the defensive, dreading the next NSA spying revelation.
- Meanwhile, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper takes to Tumblr to convince us his operation is as cuddly as lolcats.
- San Diego Mayor Bob Filner is expected to, at long last, resign. Well, maybe one grope for the road.
- In recent years, Germany imposed tough qualifications on truck drivers and stiff fines on those who who work without official permission. Now, shockingly, the country has a shortage of people willing and able to drive trucks.
- A Department of Homeland Security employee responsible, in part, for acquiring guns and ammunition for the feds has a sideline in promoting vitriolic anti-white, anti-gay views.
- Thailand is poised to become the first Asian country to legalize same-sex marriage. This is not a surprise.
- While education choice explodes in popularity around the United States, Virginia has all of five charter schools, since local school districts have veto power.
- California lawmakers move to give prosecutors the option to be more lenient with drug charges. Wait…prosecutors?
Get Reason.com and Reason 24/7 content widgets for your websites.