Pentagon: No "Zero Option" for US Troop Levels in Afghanistan Post-2014
White House, meanwhile, still says a complete withdrawal is possible
The Pentagon said Tuesday it is offering no "zero option" for the number of troops that would remain in Afghanistan after the U.S. combat mission ends in December 2014. It said in a report to Congress that "substantial" long-term military support will be needed to ensure that Afghans can hold off the Taliban insurgency.
The White House has not ruled out leaving no troops behind after 2014, although officials say the most likely option is a residual training force of roughly 9,000.
Editor's Note: As of February 29, 2024, commenting privileges on reason.com posts are limited to Reason Plus subscribers. Past commenters are grandfathered in for a temporary period. Subscribe here to preserve your ability to comment. Your Reason Plus subscription also gives you an ad-free version of reason.com, along with full access to the digital edition and archives of Reason magazine. We request that comments be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment and ban commenters for any reason at any time. Comments may only be edited within 5 minutes of posting. Report abuses.
Please
to post comments
Well then, we are truly screwed. All the Taliban and other similar organizations have to do is start insurrections against which we fight, and then slowly but forever bleed us to death financially, not to mention the actual bloodshed.
We should extricate ourselves from Afghanistan completely, ASAP.
my best friend's sister makes $85/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 6 months but last month her check was $19891 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site... http://WWW.CNN13.COM