- Documents seen by the German newspaper Der Spiegel reveal that German intelligence works with the NSA and uses American software.
- A study published by the RAND Corporation suggests that Al Qaeda is growing but that its primary focus is not on carrying out operations against the U.S.
- Police in Bulgaria have broken through a blockade protesters set up outside the parliament building.
- An overnight bombing at the security headquarters in the north of Egypt has left one dead and 28 injured.
- Japan scrambled jets after a Chinese military plane flew through international airspace near its southern islands.
- The rover Curiosity drove 329 feet on Mars, its longest drive yet.
Did you write about liberty between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013? Reason welcomes you to enter this year's Bastiat Prize for Journalism, with a total prize purse of $16,000.
Have a news tip for us? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.