- Massachusetts Democrat Rep. Ed Markey beat Republican candidate Gabriel Gomez in a special election for a Senate seat that was left vacant after John Kerry became secretary of state.
- Russia's national airline has said that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is not booked on any flights in the next three days. Snowden is currently in the transit area of Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport.
- The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says that more than 100,000 people have been killed in the Syrian conflict.
- Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has beaten Prime Minister Julia Gillard in a Labor Party leadership vote. Gillard had said before the vote that she would leave politics if she lost to Rudd, who she beat in a party leadership challenge in 2010.
- A homeless and uninsured Polish immigrant who had lived in the U.S. for about 30 years woke up in Poland after suffering a stroke because a New Jersey hospital had him deported.
- Americans are among the least concerned people in the world when it comes to climate change.
Follow this story and more at Reason 24/7.
Spice up your blog or Website with Reason 24/7 news and Reason articles. You can get the widgets here. If you have a story that would be of interest to Reason's readers please let us know by emailing the 24/7 crew at firstname.lastname@example.org, or tweet us stories at @reason247.