Faced with vigorous domestic protests over cartoons mocking Mohammed, French authoritied did the obvious thing: They banned all such protests. Pakistan responded to similar protests by blocking cell phone service in 15 cities. You two countries should get a room. With bars on the windows.
- Barack Obama's presidential campaign raised $84.7 million in August — $35 million more than it did in July. The latest poll gives him a five point lead over Romney. Some people never learn.
- Sen. Jim DeMint may throw his financial support behind Todd Akin's controversial Senate bid in Missouri. Because the GOP hasn't doubled-down on enough stupid this year.
- The last of of the 33,000 "surge" troops sent to Afghanistan by President Obama are coming home. Good. Let's declare victory and pull the other 68,000 out.
- New Jersey banned smiling for drivers license photos. It screws with the state's facial recognition software.
- Jerry Brown's scheme to convince Californians to raise their own taxes via a ballot initiative is losing steam. Support has slipped to just 51 percent, and may slide further.
- Spain isn't sure it wants the EU's money, because its rescuers might extract, you know, conditions and stuff. Ummm … I think that's the idea.
Don't forget to sign up for Reason's daily AM/PM updates for more content.