Jobless claims are down, which is quite convenient information on the day President Barack Obama will give a big speech arguing for a second term.
- Stock markets are responding positively to the European Central Bank's bond-buying plan.
- Auto unions may be a dominant force at the Democratic National Convention but elsewhere, not so much.
- A mother and her three daughters are dead in Missouri in what authorities suspect is a murder-suicide.
- California's controller has noticed that school district executives get huge raises soon before they retire, jacking up their pensions.
- A majority of LGBT students say they feel unsafe at school. Maybe if there were more competition for students, administrators would feel more pressure to crack down on inappropriate behavior?
- Hacked e-mails allegedly from security firm Stratfor seem to indicate that the FBI knew about the NYPD's surveillance tactics and knew that they're illegal. Stratfor says some of the e-mails may be forged or altered.
The cultural views of elite white liberals are not popular with many minorities.
We can justifiably hope for normalcy by Independence Day.
The rest of us are out of luck.
Plus: The era of sovereign influencers, a new experiment in universal basic income, and more...