Jobless claims are down, which is quite convenient information on the day President Barack Obama will give a big speech arguing for a second term.
- Stock markets are responding positively to the European Central Bank's bond-buying plan.
- Auto unions may be a dominant force at the Democratic National Convention but elsewhere, not so much.
- A mother and her three daughters are dead in Missouri in what authorities suspect is a murder-suicide.
- California's controller has noticed that school district executives get huge raises soon before they retire, jacking up their pensions.
- A majority of LGBT students say they feel unsafe at school. Maybe if there were more competition for students, administrators would feel more pressure to crack down on inappropriate behavior?
- Hacked e-mails allegedly from security firm Stratfor seem to indicate that the FBI knew about the NYPD's surveillance tactics and knew that they're illegal. Stratfor says some of the e-mails may be forged or altered.
Reason's Annual Webathon is underway! Donate today to see your name here.
Reason is supported by:
No, but that's not stopping a litigious vegan from making his case.
This is why we can't have serious conversations about government spending.
Elizabeth Warren Would Rather Make You Fix Your Terrible Public School Than Let You Send Your Kid to a Charter School
"You don't like the building? You think it's old and decaying? Then get out there and push to get a new one," she said.