Congress voted to hold Eric Holder in contempt while Democrats walked out in protest. "This is a terrible day for the House of Representatives. What it's about, we can't decide for sure, but it's not about Eric Holder and handing over papers. We don't want to participate in something that has some kind of smell to it," said Emanual Cleaver, apparently unaware of the general smell on Capitol Hill.
- Bombs in and around Baghdad killed at least 20 as the summer starts off violently. The prospect of elections have been threatened.
- Mongolians go to the polls to decide how to spend all the money the country's expecting from new mining projects.
- According to a lawsuit, the nightclub Greenhouse shared information including IDs scanned at the door with the NYPD. Not sure what the patrons thought was happening there? All those cameras were probably on too!
- The Fulton County school district became the largest in Georgia to convert to an all charter school system as the state's districts face a 2015 deadline to re-organize their school systems (or not). Fulton County did refuse to extend by a decade the charter for one charter school over "questionable spending practices," which never happen in public schools, obviously.
- Maine will begin an investigation into a century of forced removal of indigenous children from their families by the state.
- Rafael Nadal lost at Wimbledon to a Czech ranked 100th in the world.
- China's first female astronaut does tai chi in space.
Don't forget to sign up for Reason's daily AM/PM updates for more content.
Reason.TV: "Is There a Silver Lining to the Obamacare Decision?"