The median net worth of American families fell from $126,400 in 2007 to $77,300 in 2010 — a 38.8 percent drop and the largest seen since the survey began in 1989. Median income also declined during the same period. Household net worth has partially recovered since 2012, but remains $4 trillion short of the 2007 high mark.
- "We're only six years away from being in Greece's same statistical situation," Gary Johnson told CBS News. He mocked economic proposals put forward by Obama and Romney and called for a 43 percent cut in the federal budget, including defense.
- Spain's effort to reduce its 25 percent unemployment rate is hampered by rules that make hiring and managing workers a huge headache for the country's struggling businesses. Fears about the country's economy tanked its latest effort to borrow money and drove down the value of the euro relative to other currencies.
- Francois Hollande's Socialist Party is on track to win a solid parliamentary majority in France's June 17 run-off election. The first round of voting gave the party a plurality of votes.
- Across Minnesota, libertarians inspired by Ron Paul's movement are seeking local and state office in at least 11 counties and 13 cities. The influx of people with socially tolerant, fiscally conservative views has brought new blood and sparked conflicts with traditional conservatives.
- All three of the major candidates for Mexico's presidency plan to demilitarize and step-down the country's drug prohibition efforts.
- A $14,000 Idaho treehouse-turned-guesthouse may have all the necessary permits, but the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers still wants it chopped down. The feds say it might, potentially, damage a levy if it ever collapsed.
- Primitive life found at the top of South American volcanoes survives in circumstances that may closely mimic past conditions on Mars.
- Ask a libertarian is back! Try to stump Nick and Matt with your toughest questions.
Do you want hot links and other Reason goodies delivered to your inbox twice a day? Sign up here for Reason's morning and afternoon news updates.