- President Barack Obama: "Is this the [debt] deal I would have preferred? No."
- Debt deal causes world markets to breathe a sigh of relief.
- Syrian forces unleash their bloodiest crackdown yet on protesters.
- Federal judge strikes down Florida's Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act.
- A different federal judge orders the release of Richard Nixon's Watergate testimony.
- New Hampshire erects a historical marker commemorating "the first widely reported UFO abduction report in the United States."