Sweden Rejects Welfare Claim!

|

Back in June Michael Moynihan brought us the story of Roger Tullgren, a victim of his own musical preferences collecting Swedish welfare benefits to help cope with his metal addiction. By contrast, this married couple in southeast Sweden isn't claiming any kind of bogus addiction or incapacitation in their bid to continue ten years of state support. They just find drawing a paycheck egregiously immoral. (Welfare checks are A-OK.) Says the husband:

"Conventional work is out of the question for me—both in terms of my conscience and on an intellectual level—as it seems objectionable with regard to both my personal well-being and the well-being of society as a whole. Emotionally too it creates unbearable pain and dejection." 

The drop in income is likely to mean that the couple will no longer be able to afford the house they are currently renting in the countryside near Kinda, forcing them instead to move to a built-up area. But the married couple are loath to leave the countryside, arguing that they are unsuited to the "atmosphere" in town.

They're appealing the decision.  

Via Certain Ideas of Europe

NEXT: Washington State's DWI Follies

Editor's Note: We invite comments and request that they be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of Reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason at any time. Report abuses.

  1. This is another situation that I hope is performance art. Otherwise, these people suck. Suck, Suck, Suck.

  2. I’d rather not have to work, either. Why don’t we all just quit right now? Everybody on the planet could just chill out in the country, collecting welfare. It’ll be perfect.

    Come on, everybody! Let’s do it!

    We’ll start with the employees who cut those welfare checks.

  3. Get a job, ya damn hippies!

  4. Browyn,

    I foresee long speeches, didactic rapes, and train wrecks…

  5. Is it accurate to describe a Swedish person as a “hoser?” Because this guy sounds like serious hoser.

  6. Jesus H Christ wearing a thong. What the hell happened to Sweden? They use to develop world class bikini teams.

  7. When did my son get married and move to Sweden?

  8. Is it accurate to describe a Swedish person as a “hoser?” Because this guy sounds like serious hoser.

    Not unless their last name is McKenzie, joe. And they would probably require a dog named Hosehead and Mel Blanc as their father. However, there is always the Max von Sydow Swedish connection there, so you may be on to something.

  9. Let me tell you about Sweden…too much time to think too little to do……

  10. Take off! To the Great White North.
    Take off! It’s the beauty way to go.
    Take off. . .wait, this posting isn’t about Canada. Oh. Sorry aboot that. Be seeing you later, eh?

  11. Trying to rationalize being a lazy-slob with such grandiloquence makes him sound like a real life Ignatius J. Reilly.

  12. Hey this guy sounds like me. Slackers have been oppressed for centuries and it has to end!

  13. Don’t forget the Slave Nurses!

  14. Okay, three things about the article:

    1. They managed to pull off this scam for ten years.

    2. The article states-twice-that their welfare was reduced, rather than eliminated.

    3. Kinda?

  15. Why doesn’t he just declare himself a movie director?

  16. Why doesn’t he just declare himself a movie director?

    Exactly! How lazy do you have to be that you can’t bother to call yourself an artist.

  17. We really should all embrace this school of thought. Work is highly over rated and not really all that fun in general. To prove my point I would say 99% of the time I am here I am wishing I was someplace else not working and the other 1% I am planning on how to get there.

    If we would all embrace this logic it could be just the thing we need to shut down the bloated cow of government that has gorged itself on everyone elses money for to long now.
    Fuck unions and strikes it should be a striaght workers strike against government taxes and nanny laws. I really don’t think it would take them that long to figure out if no one is working they really have no reason to exist any longer. Hard to spend what you are not making. I would say 2 months tops and they would be repealing all sorts of things they claimed we had to have just years ago and could not live without.

    Well I say lets find out if we really can live without some of these things. Just saying we couldn’t doesn’t show me enough proof.

  18. “We really should all embrace this school of thought. Work is highly over rated and not really all that fun in general. To prove my point I would say 99% of the time I am here I am wishing I was someplace else not working and the other 1% I am planning on how to get there.”

    It seems there is a party in this county that, if given a chance, would have the level of entitlement that Sweden has. If only we got rid of the “Bush Tax Cuts”, more and more people would be entitled to benefits for which they have no moral claim and for which they did absolutely no work to earn.

  19. To prove my point I would say 99% of the time I am here I am wishing I was someplace else not working and the other 1% I am planning on how to get there.

    What percentage is the time spent goofing off on the internet at H&R? Because there must be some of that going on, and you can’t spend more than 100% of your time, despite what some of my managers have seemed to think.

  20. If you wish to look further into the issue Chucklehead raises, make sure you choose your search terms carefully.

  21. STFU GBTW

  22. When Something-For-Nothing is institutionalized, you get lay-abouts who are merely pimples on the face of the culture. eating, producing sh*t and adding zip. No struggle – no result.

  23. Isn’t there some ancient wisdom liturature writing that says quite simply,” If they don’t work, don’t let them eat”

    Seemed wise centuries ago and equally wise today.

    Not politically correct by today’s “received wisdom” of the PC variety.

  24. Judge Griffin: “I say we expand execution to include lesser crimes!”

  25. Bronwyn | August 9, 2007, 10:15am | #

    “I’d rather not have to work, either. Why don’t we all just quit right now? Everybody on the planet could just chill out in the country, collecting welfare. It’ll be perfect.

    Come on, everybody! Let’s do it!

    We’ll start with the employees who cut those welfare checks.”

    Best. Comment. Ever. Right on!

  26. I believe his intellectual level shined through with his statement.

    Back to work horse! *lash*

  27. As my mom was fond of saying, if you put half as much work into doing the job as you do getting out of it then you’d be done already.

  28. What is Swedish for “double douche-nozzles”?

    Don’t forget the ‘Slave Nurses’!

    Breathes there a man so un-naughty that he does not find that, in some way, hot?

  29. This is disgusting. I have to work 10-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week to pay rent in NYC and support one of my parents. What I’d give to smack this worthless malingering POS bastard.

  30. SITUATION WANTED

    Would-be slacker seeks soft life. Has lots of ways to spend money and time. Do not send job summary, just send cash, cheque or money order to Aresen, East Street, Loafer Acres, BC Canada V$N $N$. All denominations and currencies accepted. Credit Card donations, accompanied by confirmation numbers and expiry dates, welcome.

  31. I too am dejected by conventional work.

    I remain most dejected,

    Paul

  32. They have blacks in Sweden?

  33. People all over the world should be forced at gun point stop working and accept a handout.

    Bless this man and his wife!

    And to hades with the rest of you!

    Bloody idiots!

  34. kupcheck | August 9, 2007, 9:33pm

    Not funny. Go back to the locker room.

  35. The local council has tried on a number of occasions to convince the couple to reconsider their life choice – but to no avail.

    As opposed to, say, cutting off their welfare checks (OK, everyone’s welfare checks) and then not worrying about what life choices the lazy SOBs make?

    Oh, right, that would require the local councilmembers to get off their butts and get real jobs too, since the job of Do-Gooder would be eliminated.

  36. This is why I went through so much effort finding a career I actually enjoy. My life would be boring without work.

  37. Just confirms what any conservative already knows: more welfare = greater incentive to get on welfare.

  38. You can lose your welfare benefits in Sweden? So much for the Swedish model. It’s no better there than it is here.

Please to post comments

Comments are closed.