Selling Obama at the DNC

CHARLOTTE—The American economy may or may not be a victim of weak demand, but this week's Democratic National Convention has highlighted the existence of a booming local market in Obama-branded, well, everything.

If you can print an image of Obama's face on it, someone has, and they've brought it to Charlotte. I've seen buttons, mugs, calendars, posters, newspaper covers, framed photos, keychains, and a seemingly endless array of T-shirts.

And what's especially wonderful is that it's all for sale: Everywhere you walk around the convention area, you see commerce driven by Obama's celebrity and proximity. After the jump, a brief tour of the Obama-branded stuff for sale at the DNC. 


Most of the shirts for sale feature prominent images of Obama's face. But a few focus on his name. I don't think I've seen a single shirt that could be described as subtle. 

Obama is the focus. But his entire family gets the T-shirt treatment as well:

For those who aren't content to simply wear presidentially branded clothing, there are calendars and children's books:

And although it's not an Obama-branded product, the "99 Percent Granola" I found at a for sale at a snack table does show a certain genius for audience-specific marketing:

Editor's Note: We invite comments and request that they be civil and on-topic. We do not moderate or assume any responsibility for comments, which are owned by the readers who post them. Comments do not represent the views of Reason.com or Reason Foundation. We reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason at any time. Report abuses.

  • Fist of Etiquette||

    No graven images unless Obama gets a cut.

  • Jeff||

    Hey, man. That's no way to talk about the First Wookiee Lady... oh, you said "cut".

  • ||

    What a vile cult of personality.

  • Ice Nine||

    Um, um, um...Barack Hussein Obama...

  • Ice Nine||

    They really buffed Malicia up for that T-shirt photo.

  • Death Rock and Skull||

    Barf.

  • Palin's Buttplug||

    Disgraceful!

    Fucking capitalist pigs!

  • Death Rock and Skull||

    Just checking in here real quick.

    Barf.

  • IceTrey||

    They didn't build that!

  • PapayaSF||

    99% granola? What's the other 1%?

  • Death Rock and Skull||

    Barf.

  • Brandybuck||

    Sawdust

  • ||

    Pine nuts

  • Beefkins||

    Who's the Chinese guy on the calendars? And why does that little kid's reflection in the mirror look like Grimace?

  • anarch||

    the "99 Percent Granola" I found at a for sale at a snack table

    At first I misread that as snark table.

    But alas, not.

GET REASON MAGAZINE

Get Reason's print or digital edition before it’s posted online

  • Video Game Nation: How gaming is making America freer – and more fun.
  • Matt Welch: How the left turned against free speech.
  • Nothing Left to Cut? Congress can’t live within their means.
  • And much more.

SUBSCRIBE

advertisement