The family of a 14-year-old Maryland girl is suing the California makers of Monster Energy, alleging Friday that too much caffeine in the popular energy drink led to her death.
Lawyers said the two 24-ounce (0.7 liter) cans of Monster Energy consumed by Anais Fournier in the 24 hours prior to her fatal cardiac arrest in December 2011 contained as much caffeine — 480 milligrams — as 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola.
The ensuing autopsy cited “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity” as the cause of death.
Source: AFP. Read full article. (link)