- firing of FBI Director James Comey is pretty much the only thing on media radar this morning, as Trump tweets about the decision, a host of politicians condemn it, and everyone else tries to figure out just what the hell is going on. "They just barely got the tiniest bit of momentum going after the House health care bill, and now it's like the engine has fallen out of the car," an unnamed adviser to the West Wing told Axios. "This was a tremendous miscalculation." President Trump's
- "The fallout [from Comey's firing] seemed to take the White House by surprise," reports Politico. "White House officials believed it would be a 'win-win' because Republicans and Democrats alike have problems with the FBI director, one person briefed on their deliberations said."
The Democrats have said some of the worst things about James Comey, including the fact that he should be fired, but now they play so sad!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 10, 2017
James Comey will be replaced by someone who will do a far better job, bringing back the spirit and prestige of the FBI.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 10, 2017
- The U.S. Census Bureau director has resigned, citing a looming funding crisis for the 2020 census.
- A reporter was arrested while trying to ask questions of Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price at the West Virginia statehouse yesterday. Police say he was "aggressively breaching the secret service agents to the point where the agents were forced to remove him a couple of times." Were the cops here being thugs? Probably! Was Price trying to subvert the First Amendment and hide facts about the GOP health care bill? Probably not! But the fact that the reporter was asking about domestic-violence as a preexisting condition has given the incident special conspiracy cache on social media.
- "After Spicer spent several minutes hidden in the bushes"...
Photo Credit: Ron Sachs/CNP / Polaris/Newscom